This can be done using Group Policy Preferences:

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com]
On Behalf Of Johns, Damon (DoJ)
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:40 PM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [mssms] Re: Windows 8 File Associations & OSD

Has anyone researched and implemented a way to stop Windows 8 Enterprise
from using Modern/Metro Apps to load certain file types when using
copyprofile or similar when sysprepping for a capture?

Some of the file types I'm referring to are .mp3 .wav .wmv .jpg .bmp etc.
It's our preference to have these open using Windows Media Player or Windows
Picture Viewer. I can set the file associations on a Hyper V base image but
when I run sysprep and set the copyprofile option to true in the
unattend.xml it resets these settings back to default.

I don't mind this occurring on say a Surface Pro which is a tablet and a
user may want to take advantage of the modern apps, but for our desktop
users it not really appropriate as the Modern/Metro Apps don't always
integrate/communicate with some of the traditional desktop apps. I'm finding
that our users are having consistently swap between the Modern UI and the
traditional desktop or we are been asked to make the change in file
associations for them.

Thanks in advance for any replies / comments

Cheers

Damon

  _____

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by
legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons
to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that
any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised.
If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact
this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to
enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or
its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of
the information contained in this transmission.