*cough* Blog Post *cough*

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Mote, Todd
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:33 AM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: RE: [mssms] SCCM and TLS 1.2

Just in case anybody else is wondering about TLS 1.2, SCCM and WSUS...  I moved
my test SCCM 1606 to the OU with ONLY TLS 1.2 enabled and as I suspected, SCCM
could not communicate with WSUS, so I unchecked the “Require SSL” box on the
ApiRemoting30 website app in IIS.  It could communicate again.  Not feeling
great about that, but what could I do?  Then on my way home, a colleague of
mine sent me a link to a configuration page for Azure AD Connect and how to
configure it to use TLS 1.2, and knowing my odyssey with TLS 1.2 thought I
might like to see it.  And what do you know, it contained a registry setting
for .NET Framework to make .NET use strong cryptography.
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-aadconnect-prerequisites/#enable-tls-12-for-azure-ad-connect

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319
"SchUseStrongCrypto"=dword:00000001

It occurred to me that all of the calls in the errors in the WSUS console I saw
were .NET assembly errors.  I wondered if it was .NET and not the WSUS console
that was the issue, so I checked the box on the “APIRemoting30” website app
back to “Require SSL”, added the above registry key, and restarted the server.
When it came back up, the WSUS console was able to connect and it shows SSL
over port 8531 in the WSUS console.  So it’s not the WSUS console that has the
issue, it’s .NET Framework itself that by default doesn’t support strong
cryptography.  By adding this key, first, one can follow the published MS
documentation on securing WSUS with SSL and use ONLY TLS 1.2.  And consequently
SCCM works as well with only TLS 1.2 enabled, including communicating with
WSUS.  Seems like that little registry key might help out a lot of things,
including PowerShell, since it’s .NET, to use TLS 1.2…

Todd