It uses several hashes, even within versions. SMS 2007 had an app you could
get called "hashdir" and you would pass it the hash VERSION that you were
using, and it could verify the hash. I have a copy and a script that more
or less does what content validation in CM12 does... pulls a list of all
packages on a DP then calculates the hash for each, and if the hash is
incoirrect it calls the refresh method for that package-DP combo.

Here is where the hash and version was stored in 07.
"

*strSQL = strSQL & "SMSPackages.HASH, "strSQL = strSQL &
"SMSPackages.HashVersion, "strSQL = strSQL & "SMSPackages.NewHash "*
"From v_PackageStatusDistPointsSumm "
LEFT JOIN SMSPackages "

Content works different in 12, but there is still a hash calculated on the
entire package contents even though it is stored as individual files.

I *think* it is in the table V_Package points to. I seem to recall you
cannot see the hash in the views, only the tables. I will send more info
once I can unlock my account and regain access to my server :)