IMO, yes.

Except, I don’t typically shut down the old, server, I shutdown the SQL and
ConfigMgr services and rename it so then when (not if) I need something off of
it, it’s still on the network.

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Steve Whitcher
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:29 PM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [mssms] Recommended process for moving SCCM CB to new server?

It looks like I need to make some changes in order to install CB v1702.  Both
the SQL server version and the OS version it's running on are no longer
supported.

The primary site server is also getting low on disk space, and could stand to
be upgraded to server 2016, so I'm thinking that this might be a good time to
build up a new server and migrate SCCM over to it.  For 2012R2, I understand
that the process boiled down to:

Backup the Site DB
Shut down the server
Build a new server using the same IP, hostname, etc
Install the same version of SCCM
Recover the DB to the new server

Is that still the way to go?

Rather than upgrading the current SQL server, I'd like to install SQL on the
primary site server and use that for the configmgr db instead.  Does that need
to be done separately?  As in, first move the site server as above, then after
SCCM is functional on the new server install SQL and move the db?

Anything else I need to watch out for?

Thanks!
Steve