You asked "how are you doing this"... and I don't have those types of
timing demands on the servers I support for patching.  But here's my
likely-not-well-thought-out vague ideas on how I'd think about doing it.
(and pilot, and test, and test and test...)

Create multiple collections.  Those collections have one role and one role
only.  Their only job is to let you define the Service Windows for when
software updates can occur.  Add all the SQL boxes into the Collection
called "SUM Service Window 7pm to 11pm"  Add all the Web server boxes to
"SUM Service Window 11pm to 3am".  Add all the you go last boxes to "SUM
Service Window 3am to 7am".  Now, set Service windows on those collection,
for Software Updates only, with daily, those times.  You NEVER deploy
anything to those collections, and you don't use them for anything else,
ever.  Remember, their 1 and only job is to define Service Windows.

Deploy patches as (almost) normal; but do remember to have the deployment
honor service windows, and you DO want to allow servers to reboot,
post-patching.

What should happen is the boxes in the 7-11pm service window might get the
patch deployment policy at 3pm... but it'll wait until 7pm to start
installing (it'll download prior, but won't actually patch til 7pm-ish);
and reboot when done.  the boxes in the 11pm-3am service window will wait
until 11pm for their turn to install, and reboot.  and 3am-7am will wait
til 3am.  But ... by the morning everyone should be done.  Unless, of
course (and this could happen, but unlikely)... let's say there is a box
which deserves 35 patches.  and estimated time to install EACH one is 30
minutes.  the CM client itself does the math, and says to itself... huh.
35 * 30 minutes ... I'll never patch in the 4hr window. "skipping until I
can" (and of course, it'll never have a service window big enough).  So
you'd just have to keep that in mind if you encounter failures like that.
In those cases, if it's just 1 or 2 boxes the easy cheat is just
interactively login, and trigger the install from Software Center of the
updates.  A human triggering an install overrides a service window.  You
could also of course on the deployment check the box for "override service
window"--but then that defeats your whole plan of timed deployments.  but
it is an option.  Not a GREAT option because of your stated goals... but it
is an option.

--
Thank you,

Sherry Kissinger

My Parameters:  Standardize. Simplify. Automate
Blogs: http://www.mofmaster.com, http://mnscug.org/blogs/sherry-kissinger,
http://www.smguru.org