>At 10:26 AM 6/30/98 +0200, you wrote:
>
>>> David is right, you only measure the number of
interrupts that got >>
>through.
>>> For example, take two equally fast disk ROMs, ROM A
re-enables interrupts
>>> whenever possible and ROM B keeps interrupts disabled
during the whole
>>> disk
>>> I/O. According to your test, ROM B would be much faster,
but in fact it
>>> isn't.
>>
>>Well, it really is... The sound that the drive makes (when
it changes
>track >or
>>something?) can be heard very clearly, and in the fast
diskROM-case, it can
>>clearly be heared that it loads faster. At the
boot-sequence of the Sony,
>>it's
>>also clear that the fast one is really faster, because the
booting of the
>>SOny
>>with the fast diskROM goes about twice as fast! The
slow-one waits very
>>long
>>after the 'drive-test'...
>
>My example was only intended to illustrate why your BASIC
test program is
>not good. It doesn't say anything about your actual MSX
machines.

>>But, as Erik suggests, the Version Number 1.2 is a fake?
There's no real
>>1.2?
>
>I guess so, but I cannot verify it.
>
>Some comparisons:
>NMS8250: Disk BASIC 1.0
>Turbo R GT with "1" key pressed: Disk BASIC 1.0
>
>>To conclude: there MUST have been 'surgery' in that Sony
with fast diskROM?

>Very likely, because Sony replacement disk ROMs where told
for many years
>by clubs and MSX hardware companies.
>
>>There really exist disk ROM's on MSX with _caching_??
Didn't know that....

>DOS2 does some caching: the bootsector, the FAT and the
directory.

>>> Another good test: use a sector copier (one that uses
the disk ROM, so
>>> don't choose FastCopy!) and take a stopwatch to time how
long a disk copy
>>> takes.
>>
>>Which one do you suggest? (BTW: and where can I download
it?)

>No idea, I'm sorry. I haven't used sector copiers for
years. But most
>sector copy programs use the disk ROM. Generally speaking:
if the program
>works on all MSX types without running a special
installation program, it
>uses the disk ROM.

How about DISKCOPY.COM which comes with  MSXDOS2?
or do we then get the problem of diskchange...

greetings
        Maico Arts
        MSX-NBNO