On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:44:38 +0200, Erik Maas wrote:

Hello to all

Erik, more than you, I am answering Willem, but I've taken your
mail as basis for doing it.

>(Translation: Nice you are busy with new developments for
>MSX. It's only a pitty that by this hardware we are dependant
>on your software)
>About hardware dependency.
>A group in Spain is also busy writing a terminal program for the
>16550 that works with the ACCNET interface. This program
>should work with my interface as well because they are
>compatible with each other!!!
This programme to which Erik refers is the COMS v6.x, and it is
already finished since the v6.5 and there already appeared past
week the v6.6, and it is not discarded that would appear a v6.7
in few months.
BTW, its main feature is that it supports ANSI color on v9938,
and it does so quite nice. :)

About ACCNET, it allows to use internal, non-PnP PC modems.
It costs about 110-120 NLGs. End of pub. :)

About expensiveness of Erik's RS232C. Wilhem, that's bullshit!
Less than 100 NLGs for a thing REALLY PnP, that you just
have to plug one side to a MSX, another into a modem, load
the soft, ring somewhere and enjoy, is more a gift than any other
thing.
Of course, you can buy a super-mega-fab piece of hardware
with teorical (teorical in the sense nobody releases progs for it)
superb abilities that should make larger the life of MSX. But
prepare to pay 3-5 times than Erik's RS232C.
(Note: I have anything agaisnt super-mega-fab pieces of
hardware. It just happens that they have few programmes, and
they need a huge amount of programmes for enjoying them as a
normal user -another way to enjoy it is to develop things for it,
but that's not the normal case-, while a piece like RS232,
Harukaze, the ESE Artist Factory RS, the named ACCNET, or
Acrobat just need that, two-three programmes and a phone
plug, and you can use it -and enjoy it- for years.)

About the not-compatibility with Philips. Erik is right again.
Philips chose to make a rather different RS232.
Since it seems it was the most sold at Holland, it can be
regarded THERE as a standard. At Spain, France, Japan, Brazil
and so on, it is a nonentity.
For example, the most sold models were the SVI, Sony and the
spare boards I got a lot of years ago from  Mitsubishi's MLG3.
Is Erik's RS compatible with Sony, SVI, Mitsubishi... in short,
with the ASCII/Micro$oft standards? Yes? Then it is a real
RS232C. End of arguing.

And all this without talking about the painstaking time, efforts
and resources that Erik ahis nd friends may have spent while
making it.
Without making any cash. (Because a RS232 at 100 NLGs or
less you can't do any cash.)

Is Willem a passionate lover of Term? Nobody can't help this.

On low speed about transfering from/to a HD or a FDD.
Problems with that? Use RAMDisk.

>p.s.1. If anyone feels that I am disposing garbage in the
>mailinglist, let me know. Then I won't do it again...
What you've done should be done more often.
Sometimes it is good that people could learn what is behind a
development. More to add, people should ASK and BE
INTERESTED about what is behind people do.
See your product being bought is nice, but people interested
and buying it, is a lot more nicer.

>p.s.2. If there are translation errors in this message: sorry...
Nevertheless, I couldn't realize... ;)

CYA