On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:44:09 +0000,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Aloha,
Bon dia paio:

>>Right, ITF-14 (for big boxes containing more than one box of
>>product) and UPC-A (USA) and then ISSN for mags. and
>>ISBN for books, if I'm not wrong.
>Ehm. At least not completely right :-)
Oh pity! I won't get god's license this year... :'(((  X-DDDD

>I dunno about ITF-14 or UPC-A, but neither ISSN nor ISBN
>are _barcode_ standards.  They're magazine/book numbering
>standards. And when you have a number (any number) you
>can of course create a barcode (using any barcode standard)
>containing the number.
Ooooh, I've lost the car... ;)

>>>Commonly used in dutch shops (e.g. V&D) is EAN-13.
>>And over all the EU I think.
>>The exception is the EAN-8, for small products that cannot
>>hold a complete EAN-13. Look the yoghurts, for example.
>I dare to doubt that size is a reason for turning to EAN-8. I've
>seen EAN-13 labels in 5x20 mm size, and I guess that smaller
>than that is not much of a problem...
Let me search... A-haaa! A book from which I have some
photocopied sheets speaks about a truncated EAN-13 -8 or
UPC-A, by shortening the vertical lenght of the bars.
(Let me guess, the 5mm stated above are in vertical)
I supose the book is a bit old because it tells that it could lessen
the ability of the scanner to read it. It even suggests that it's
better to use an EAN-8 than a shortened EAN-13.

>              Eric (standards are great, everyone should have one)
Say goodbye to Eric, the man with funny sentences for every
moment of the day... :)

Ramon 'awaiting Aurora stuff' Ribas sayz...

CYA