There was another way to protect your basic program. I've 2 programs for the
Sony/Toshiba plotter which are in .BIN format. You have to load them with
bload"file",r It turns out to be simple too: just a binary dump of the basic
program plus a little peace of machine-code that poked RUN in the
keyboardbuffer. When you reset the computer and type
poke32770,128:poke32769,1 you can get the original listing. But you first
have to "erase" the first line-number. The complete trick:

poke32770,128:poke32769,1
Ok
list
10 cls
10 cls
10 cls
10 cls
[ctrl-break]
Ok
10 [return]
list
10 cls
20 print "It works!"
30 blah blah...
Ok

This little trick is very useful when programming in XBASIC (Or Nestor
perhaps :-) since XBASIC can let your system hang easily.

Here's another trick the used to work quite well, even in ML-programs:
poke&hfbb0,1
After that, you can press ctrl-shift-graph-code (if I remeber correctly..)
and you'll fall back into the basic prompt. But when you do this and you
don't see anything, just type screen 0[enter] to bring you back to
text-mode.
Perhaps if you use the DOS2 and MSX2+ KANJI mode you don't have to do
this...

Greets,

Randy