On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi,
>
> I have a sunrise IDE-interface, but I can't get it to work
> 100%... I'm using it on a NMS8250 with a
Make sure you are using a hardware-modified IDE interface to avoid all
types of hardware problems. (more info: http://www.faq.msxnet.org and look
for chapter 13(!! ;) )

> Maxtor 71084 AP hdd of 1Gb (1084Mb),
> but when I connect it to my msx, and try to fdisk it. It gets
use idefdisk version 1.40 (downloadable at http://www.msx.ch)

BTW you are using bios 1.86 I hope...
(If you still use some old(before October98) bios, you will have to copy
your files to another medium before installing bios 1.86. The old biosses
and fdiskide.com arranged the data on the disk in a wrong way; in that case
your data is actually scrambled all over the harddisk. When using the new
biosses, you will have to format your hd with the new idefdisk program)

> splitted into 6 drives (a to f) and my 2 floppy drives become
> drive g & h. but all drives on my hdd are only 32 mb large,
> so if  6x32=192Mb then that's like.... not even 20% of my total
> hdd.... HELP ME!!!!! how can I fix this?????
This is completely normal;
You can't make the partitions larger, but you can enable other partitions
and disable your current partitions.
Run the idefdisk program and choose 'display partition table'; with the
keys [E] and [D] enable and disable the partitions as you like (the first
6 enabled partitions become drives a:, b:,... f: ) After that choose
'write partition table' to save the new settings to your harddisk. After
that, restart your msx.

If there are partitions enabled that aren't formatted yet: do as described
in the IDEFDISK.TXT file. (downloadable at http://www.msx.ch)

In that way it is possible to access 31 partitions of each 32MB.

Jon