From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Walter Bernardo Nunes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: vrijdag 19 maart 1999 6:16
Subject: RE: FDC x 1.44Mb

>Marco Antonio Simon dal Poz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Maarten ter Huurne wrote:
>>Do you know a FDC that supports 1.2Mb and 1.44Mb drives and is still being
>>produced, and have good documentation?

I think these docs and ICs are unavailable today.

>>Note that 3.5MHz is too slow to allow reading of 1.44MB disks. The "inner
>>loop" of the sector read routine is too slow to cope with the data flow.

Drivers 1.44MB uses 360 r.p.m. when 720kb uses 300 r.p.m. ?

>> So
>>if you want to create 1.44MB drives for MSX, you either have to use 7MHz
>>Z80 or use some kind of buffer for reading sectors.

>Are you sure? A 720kb disk works with a FDC that handles 250kbits/s, a
>1440kb disk works with a FDC that handles 500kbits/s.

I don't know, but if angular speed  is  360 * 2 * PI / 60 ,
that required more CPU speed OR _DMA_ for flow control.

>This means that the
>main routine should be able to read 12500 bytes per turn. It means that
>this routine should run 12500 times in 0.2 seconds. Then, the routine
>should spend a maximum of 16 microseconds. In a 3.57561149MHz, this means
>57 clockcicles.

If I used a trigger for control signal "data available"  on
hardware (i.e. waiting for "Wait" signal comes  up),  avoid
you routine ?
I see possibilities. Control is set on read on D0h port.

Only for information, the correct number of states (T):

>     LD HL,address                  10T
>     LD C,D3h                        7T
>LOOP:IN A,(D0h)  ; 12 clocks        11T  <- Start Loop
>     RRCA        ; 5 clocks          4T
>     JR NC,LOOP  ; 9 or 12 clocks 9-12T
>     RRCA        ; 5 clocks          4T
>     RET NC      ; 9 clocks          5T
>     INI         ; 21 clocks        16T
>     JP LOOP     ; 10 clocks        10T
[Reference: Signectics Z80 family data sheet]

TOTAL 11+4+12+4+5+16+10 = 62 T-cicles if no-wait inserted.

If wait-logic is used, the read routine is:

     LD HL, address   10T
     LD  C, D3h        7T
LOOP:IN  A, (D0h)     11T <- WAIT INSERTED (Hardware tests
     RRCA              4T                   data bus  D7 )
     RRCA              4T
     RET NC            5T
     INI              16T
     JP LOOP          10T

TOTAL 11+4+4+5+16+10 = 50 T-cicles + waits.

>Conclusion: you're right, it's not possible
>to use 1.2Mb or 1.44Mb disks with Z80 at 3.57MHz.

I try to work on this scheme, but I need 1.44M FDC IC.
Who know this IC commercial number ?

MARUJO.
|               | |_| |_ __  _  __    | WALTER BERNARDO NUNES |
|             /|| |_   _|  \| |/ /    | [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
\          /  || | | |    _|  /     / Graduacao Fisica-UFRGS |
     \__/______||___|___|___|_|_ /    [tag not available yet]