Hans Otten wrote:

> Ah, you are not alone with IDE problems.
>
> I had some success with the unmodified IDE interface, software form Henrik
> Gilvad and a Western Digital 6,5 Gbyte (nothing else lying around...).
> Worked without problems for several weeks on a unloaded 8280.

how sure are you about that? As long as the buffercircuitry has not been
modified, the datatransfer can be corrupted. Especially when
transporting #FF bytes through the cable, there might something go
wrong... Most textfiles, etc.. do not contain #FF bytes and everything
seems to go ok...

> Then around xmas 98 is started playing with additional cdrom as slave and
> that was not such a gooed idea, with other words, a disaster. While
> experimenting the 8280 stopped working (due to a blown fuse to my relief,
> too many reboots, works again like a dream...)

if you connect the IDE cable in a bad way, you cause a short-circuit on
5V of your precious MSX.

> So i was pleasantly surprised when Jon de Schrijder made new versions of the
> bios etc available. Downloaded, installed and it never worked afterwards.
> Not with the hard disk alone, and certainly not with the cdrom as slave.

the new biosses perform a lot more checks and tests.

> Do
> note that i did not perform the hardware update yet.

I can't express it enough: the hardware update is really necessary. It
fixes both fan-out problems and IDE bustiming problems.

> The disk went into the PC, its intended use, and i am looking for a cheap
> but suitable disk for the IDE interface.

Since the modified interface is capable of handling ALL (as far as I
know) IDE harddisks, that won't be a big problem...

> Do note that Jon (he is reading this maillist too!) warns about these kind
> of problems, and did a great job writing new versions of the BIOS and also
> telling us how to do a hardware update.
> Hurray for Jon!

8-)

More info:
http://www.msx.ch
http://www.faq.msxnet.org (chapter 13)

I've also made a new textfile IDESYS.TXT, useful for IDE programmers
(about IDE system variables and routines). Soon it will be on-line on
the sites mentioned here above.

About the LS120/ZIP:
some DOSSCAN transferrates (MSX2):
*Seagate 263MB harddisk: 243kB/s (7.16MHz) - 125kB/s (3.58MHz)
*Iomega ZIP: 196kB/s (7.16MHz) - 113kB/s (3.58MHz)
*LS120:  720kB floppy: 22kB/s (7.16MHz)
*LS120: 1.44MB floppy: 38kB/s (7.16MHz Cool! A 1.44MB drive on my MSX
:-) )
*LS120:  120MB floppy: 53kB/s (7.16MHz)

I'm still busy with the new bios 1.90 that supports ZIP&LS. I have some
problems with the 'diskchange' system. DOS2 doesn't seem to call the
DSKCHG(#4013) routines before it reads sectors. It also acts in another
way when in BASIC or in MSX-DOS2. Has anyone detailed info about the use
of the DSKCHG(#4013) routine???

Jon

BTW Here in Flanders, there is a television presentator; his name is
also 'Hans Otten' :)