> > FM is actually quite simple... you take one wave and multiply it with
> another
> > to change the sound...
>
> Eh, in principle, yes. I guess it becomes more complicated as soon as you
> start
> doing things like feedback :-)

yeah, you're right... but i suppose the feedback is digital as well so
it would be done every cycle or every xx cycle or someting... this can
be emulated as well -> put the last output in a buffer and add it to the
signal next time you calculate it..
It would be nice if someone came up with a block diagram of the OPL ...
then you could easily see where the signal is looped....

> >yeah, but megadrive didn't have an FM chip, did it?
>
> Dunno, I thought it had some kind of SCC like thingie...

then why did Konami prog for the Snes???   :))

> BTW, I own a FM-PAC made by Digital-KC which has an earphone out connector,
> which has the drum sound on one side and the music sounds on the other.
> Does that mean that the OPL has two separate outputs, or is it just a
> filter processing the sound afterwards? (drums = relative high freq, so
> a set of low/high pass filters could do the trick). I always wondered...

I dont think that a filter would do the trick.. .. you can easily check
if it's a
filter by making a drum-like sound in (let's say) moonblaster and see if
it pans to
the oter side....... the more i think about it the more it seems
illogical... drums are noisy and noise is a spectrum.... so that means
that there must be sounds that would
automatically (partially) pan to the drum side when they operate on the
drums spectrum.
And the kick-drum is quite low (ground freq. somewhere between 80 and
140 Hz) so this would mean that a baseline and a kick-drum would be
panned equally...... does this still make sense?.... (to me it does....
;)

D-KC COULD have used 2 OPL's and hardwire them left and right.. Did he
use OPL's anyway? I can imagine someone using a dsp or a normal
processor instead...(and do an emulation!)

>         Eric (would love to own a DX-7, btw ;-))

....me too!...me too!!!!

greetz
akai

[EMAIL PROTECTED]