Laurens Holst wrote:

> Jon, pay attention please!!!

just returned from holiday :) and reading about 400 emails...

> I had a quite small Compass-program, though very often saved and changed.
> The size of it was about 65000 bytes. I already though this was absurd but
> since it .ASM-files are a direct dump of Compass memory I guessed a lot of
> additional information had to be saved.

when you do a lot of 'cut 'n pasting', there are many empty gaps
generated in the textbuffers. That's why it takes up so much space.
It's the fastest method though.

> However, when I copied the source into another sourcebuffer and saved it
> under another name, the .ASM-file was only 6000 bytes!!!

When you copy the text to another buffer, all gaps disappear...
You can also achieve this by saving the source in ASCII format and
reload it again.

> That's a factor 10 reduction in size Jon!!! Explain please???

see above;

I will try to make Compass 2.0 a bit more intelligent when
cutting/pasting. But I don't know for sure yet...

I've experienced that for most sources you gain about 10kB unless you do
a lot of 'big' rebuilding of your sourcecode.

CU
jon