] As you point out, the only reasons are speed and -maybe- memory. The game I
] heard that is compressed, and the text is compressed and encrypted, hence
] Oasis never even attempted a translation. Sigh...
The text is not compressed and not encrypted. Oasis had a look at it, but the
game is just too hard to translate. There is simply not enough space to
replace the compact kanji text (in which two kanjisigns can form an entire
word) with the long alphabet-based text system (in which you need many
characters to form a single word) that we are used too.

Kind regards,
Alex Wulms
--
Alex Wulms/XelaSoft - MSX of anders NIX - Linux 4 ever
See my homepage for info on the  *** XSA *** format