current DOS kernels (DOS1&2) use the memorylocations from #f1c9..#f37F.
I've never seen any official document describing their contents as
'standard'. However many locations can't be changed in future DOS
versions, because of compatibility reasons (example: F36E hook used by
diskroms, F34D also used by diskroms, F37D used by many programs).
There are also a lot of useful variables that a lot of programs use.
Maybe this is illegal. But I can't see any reason why we shouldn't keep
these variables in a future DOS3 version of the system. Not doing so
will cause a *lot* of programs to malfunction...

So it would be very good to decide which values we should keep and
standardize and which adresses can be reassigned for other purposes.
Perhaps this is something for the Phoenix project...
Perhaps we can say: when it is used by a certain program, it should be
kept...
Or maybe everyone can make a list of his 'favourite' DOS variables and
submit them on the Phoenixpage. After some evaluation period we can
decide which variables can be assumed fixed...

Very useful for things like #f2c7/8/9/a, where the memorymapperpaging
state is kept in DOS2. Useful when doing your own fast
mapperswitching...

There are a bunch of others, but I don't have the time now to discuss
them all...

CU
jon