        It would be possible if selecting a page that doesn't exist results
in selecting memory that is not present.
        Then data written to an address in that page can not be read back.

        In fact. it would be simpler then:

        10 i=0
        20 out &hfe,i:d=peek(&h8000):poke&h8000,d xor 255
        30 if peek(&h8000)<>d xor 255 then 100
        40 poke&h8000,d
        50 if peek(&h8000)<>d then 100
        60 i=i+1:if i=256 then 100
        70 goto 20
        100 print i;:print " pages of mapper RAM"

        Well, something like this...

        Greetz,
        Patrick