At 14:53 9-1-00 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi there.
>
>My sister's monitor is acting weird, at first it occasionally stopped
>displaying and you had to give it a 'gentle' pat on the back to get it
>working again. Someone at the mailinglist had the same problem, and someone
>else suggested it could be solved by re-soldering some contacts with a brown
>'ring' of -english verb for 'hars'- around it.
>
>Well, that problem is solved, but now there is a new problem: the sound
>can't be adjusted anymore and it can only be >>very<< loud. I have tested
>the variable resistor ('potmeter'), but that one seems to work fine. Any
>suggestions???

it might be a stupid thought but
maybe you short-circuited the volume control somewhere when soldering??
if the volume control is bypassed by some short-circuit, that would explain
why
it is always very loud.

>I also have another monitor with working sound, but also with a
>display-problem, a bit alike the problem of the previous monitor, but in
>this case the monitor 'fades' out. A pat on the back sometimes works but the
>longer it's on the worse the problem gets. I already have tried the
>resoldering-trick, but that didn't help.

I had this problem with my monitor too, in my case re-soldering worked fine.
my parents had the same problem with a philips tv once, re-soldering didn't
work,
it was cheaper to buy a new one than to get it fixed :(

Anywayz, now that we are talking about monitors, does anyone have a
powerswitch for a Philips CM 8802 monitor? Mine broke, so now I can
only turn on my monitor by placing a heavy object against the switch.

grtnx

pepijn