At 22:58 8-7-00 +0200, you wrote:
> > Or use MemMan, but that part of what they wanted to be a standard is just
> > as ancient as Metal Gear Solid will be in about a year... Then it really
>be
> > last millennium :)
>
>MemMan sucks.
>It loads in an awful way (exiting to Basic).
>
>Erix' Fossil does the same, by the way. And that one DOESN'T automatically
>return to DOS. Even worse!!! Still, Fossil is cool. But MemMan is not. It
>has problems with too many software to work on the background of the system.
>And software really using it can't load it in some kind of 'silent mode'.
>MemMan is always very 'there'.
>
>Yuk. I'd rather use my own routines for Dos1. Without all the annoying
>stuff. It isn't hard to use own routines, you see... And Dos2 rocks.
>
>Ofcourse, MemMan is useful. I only use the primary mapper, I don't use
>slotswitching of any kind, even forget about support for MSX1 memory. But
>that also makes the routines quite slow... I'd rather have seen that there
>was some 'semi-standard' sourcecode which did the thing MemMan does, but at
>the same time can be adapted for -for example- speed (i.e. removing all the
>slotswitching routines). But what the heck. Dos2 mapper support is easy
>enough, and the mapperports aren't hard to understand either.

Well. MemMan introduced a very good TSR management system. I wonder if that
system could be extracted from MemMan and initialize it the silent way you
describe. If I'd have the sources for MemMan, I'd really try to either
create a silent way without switching to Basic or use the TSR management
system initialized the silent way. I think that wouldn't be too hard... Ah,
it certainly is so nice to dream... :)

GreeTz, BiFi

Visit my Home Page at www.bifi.msxnet.org
mail me at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]