> Or, as the Japanse claim, it stands for Matsushita/Sony.

If I understood the Japanese story correctly,
it means

MicroSoft eXtended
Matsushita Sony Xamaha (ahum)
etc. etc. etc.
Just not one meaning, but a lot of meanings,
so all producing brands would agree on the name,
(Philips would not have produced a Matsushita Sony machine,
Microsoft doesn't want to connect it's name to Matsushita and Sony
alone etc. etc. etc. etc)
In the story we probably all read (Ikeda's MSX print)
it says something like
'In the end the abbreviation had about 13 different
meanings'

Greetz,

Sander