> > Graph Saurus 2 (Harddisk version) on www.file-hunter.com has the
> > ZAPP-virus! Just look at GS2.COM with a hex-editor (diskview or
> something).
>
> Hi Patriek!
>
> I have add this info to the database for safety reasons, butwhat kind of
> virus is this then? And can anyone be so kind to send me a good version?
> And are you sure your machine wasn't infected with the virus and infected
> the file you downloaded?

Um... Check the mailinglist archive of a couple of years ago... the ZAPP
virus was discussed then... ;-)

Very briefly: it is quite harmless, although it can be destructive too. It
replicates itself in COM files and checks for a special day. On this day it
prints "It's ZAPP's birthday today!" (or something similar) on the screen...
Problems occur if you have files with the COM extension that are not real
COM files. Those files will be unrepairably damaged. COM files you can clean
up with the ZAPP viruskiller which can be found on FUNet. It was written by
the author I believe. Also another group made a killer (wasn't that TBM of
Impact or something?).

For clarity: yes, this is one of the few viruses for MSX. It is said that in
Russia there were also made some. This one is made in the NL, by the guy
with the nick ZAPP... (Wiebe Weikamp? Or someone else? I don't remember...).

Anyway... you can remove the virus by using the viruskiller(s) on FUNet.

Best regards,

Manuel

PS: MSX 4 EVER! (Questions? See: http://www.faq.msxnet.org/)
PPS: Visit my home page at http://bilderbeek.cjb.net/