On Monday 22 January 2001 08:21, you wrote:

> But I was wondering, how does my MSX handle all these ROM types ?
> because if I insert a r-type cart, my MSX run's it with no problems.

There is hardware inside the cartridge that handles the mapping. If you open
a MegaROM cartridge, you will typically see two ICs, the large one is the ROM
and the small one is the mapper. In the case of Konami SCC games, the mapper
and the SCC are integrated into a single IC.

The point is: a cartridge is more than just a ROM. So when an emulator
emulates a MegaROM cartridge, it needs more info than just the ROM file. The
emulator has to know what other hardware there is in the cartridge. That's
what the ROM type is for.

Bye,
                Maarten