AHeh, but now I can't play midi-files at all. Say (hypothetical situation), I
>download a midi file off the web with... Uzix or something. Currently, I
>can't play it on my msx at all!! (ok, ok, that's a big loss :)). Anyways,
>it's still better to be able to at least listen to them, even though they

Playing midifiles on a moonsound would be like trying to put an elephant in
a fiat panda.
Why waste the effort? Well, ok you could make a seperate midi player orso,
but I wouldn't want to see a tracker (to be used as a serious replacement
to mbwave) based on the *kuchkuch* midi format!

>might sound like shit. I know, I know, it's indeed more of a practical view
>on the situation that a composer's, but alas, it was the first that came to
>mind 'cause the MoonSound *has* got a midi sample set and I've wondered and

yeah, some sample-set:) *kuch*

> > lacks volume-ramping (meaning that you hear ticks between notes on the
>same
> > channel).
>
>Voltage-ramping sounds great, and 24 channels are definately enough imho.

voltage ramping? :)

>However because some of the limitations of MoonBlaster composers sometimes
>have to use two sets of channels alternatingly so that they can in the
>meantime make some new settings on the other one...

well, mainly I'm using more channels to prevent those ticks, and to make it
sound better. Anyway, this way of composing is a real pain, it would be
better to include something like (PC) Impulse Trackers's NNA system. This
means that a note on a channel continues playing (or fades out with some
speed) when you enter a new note on the same channel. Basicly this means
having editing in visual channels and the player managing internal
channels. There's a world of difference when you use a NNA-type system.

>Imho, frequency tables shouldn't be used at all. Just calculate the
>frequencies, based on a 'free' base frequency, live in the editor (if that's

yeah, ofcourse it is, I had the idea that the humble Z80 got too hot for
that :)

/\/\ .