Jun Sung Kim (???) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As far as I know,
> No composite signal supported by V9958...

Indeed. The v9958 outputs an RGB signal, and that signal is used to
construct the composite video signal, but the v9938/58 doesn't do this by
itself, there is seperate hardware for that. At least, I believe that is the
common practice, but the v9938/58 also outputs a composite signal, which is
usually not used but maybe your MSX does... Although, I see it's an 8250
you're talking about, which isn't exactly an obscure type of MSX computer...

Now, the problem suggests the color signal is lost with composite video.
This occurs most commonly when connecting an NTSC output to a device
expecting a PAL input, or vice versa. So uh, are you sure your MSX isn't
running an 60Hz mode (VDP(10)=0)? It always shows grey on composite video in
NTSC mode because the color signals of PAL and NTSC aren't compatible.
However in PAL mode (VDP(10)=2) there should be no problem with getting the
color signal through. Even if the VDP is connected directly to the composite
video output, at 50Hz it *should* output a PAL signal, I actually don't see
how displaying a 50hz signal on NTSC is possible.

So if the signal doesn't get through correctly in both modes, I don't think
it is a PAL vs. NTSC problem. Now what comes to mind is that there are
different versions of PAL (like I believe PAL-M etc), but then again, it
makes no sense if the v9938 had worked before. By the way, I have never
experienced this problem myself, but then again, I never connected my MSX
through composite video since I've got a v9958 installed :).

There are multiple instructions on how to wire a v9958. In my own MSX, the
wires are done pretty cleverly, so that the sockets both supports a v9958
and a v9938, by wiring the different input pins to differing output pins.
However, if you simply connect them to +5v and GND, it is not
interchangeable. And in that case it is logical the v9938 and v9958 behave
differently, because the pin layout is different and one will be getting
incorrect signals. So my guess is that there's something wrong with the
wiring, disrupting the color signal on the composite output. I'd suggest to
try another wiring method.

~Grauw

---