To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 6:35 AM
Subject: Re: [MSX] Novaxis Problems on Philips NMS8255 help wanted hw
debugging

Does anybody know what happens when the battery for the MSX
clockchip/sram is dead? Because that seems to be the case for my NMS8235
and is most obvious difference between my NMS8235 and NMS8255. Can it be
possible that that is why the Novaxis won't boot my HD?
Any documentation on the Novaxis would help.

Gerald Stap wrote:

Hi,

After 5 years I finally decided to bring my MSX back to life. But with
all the external hardware (the slotexpander, scartcables + selector
for  GFX9000, rs232c + external modem, novaxis scsi + harddrive and
zipdrive)  it barely fits on my desk. So I decided to build my NMS8255
into a miditower to save space.

NB. Before I built the whole lot into my miditower, everything worked
fine except for the fact that the gfx9000 and de opl4 couldn't both be
entered in de gouda slotexpander due to power problems. The setup
worked with the gfx9000 in slot 1 and the opl4 in the slotexpander
thouigh.

After I built the whole lot in an miditower a little problem arose
which has been haunting me for two weeks now.

The problem is that everything works except for the Novaxis. It can
only find the scsi harddisk but won't boot from it. Instead it exits
to BASIC. Drive A: is not readable from DOS 2.xx. And physical drive A
is mapped to drive B.  Also the novaxis cannot detect the zipdrive. I
can not enter the setup menu. It says wait or something, and then the
computer hangs.

It does not matter if I use cartridge slot 1 or 2 directly or the
slots in the slot  expander. Other cartridges like Kingsvalley 2 or
my FM-Pak work fine.In fact the whole MSX performs fine unil I attach
the Novaxis.

The msx-mainboard is now connected to a 150Watt PC-AT powersupply
which should be sufficient. I checked all the voltages +/-12V and +5V
on the AT powersupply  and they seem to bee correct. This is also the
case with slot 1+2 and the Gouda slotexpander even with cartridges in
them. Zip-drive, diskdrive A&B and the SCSI hd now get their power
directly from the AT powersupply.

My first thoughts were that maybe the Novaxis SCSI interface had a
defect or I had a bad SCSI chain, but when I put a dos 2.20 cart and
the Novaxis in the slotecpander, and connect the slotexpander to my
NMS8235 with doublesided diskdrive, using the SCSI chain in the
miditower (zip + hd) the Novaxis detects both my HD and zipdrive and
boots from it. Then everything seems to work ok. I can even enter the
setup menu. So this rules out a faulty SCSI chain or bad termination.

I even replaced the MSX main board in the miditower with another. But
still I have the same problem.

Specs board 1:
Philips MSX2 NMS8255 board with built in dos2.20, fast diskrom 7 mhz
and 512kB RAM

Specs board 2:
Philips MSX2 NMS8255 board with built in dos2.20, fast diskrom 7 mhz
and 256kB RAM

I'm very puzzled.
Does anybody have any ideas on how to get the novaxis working? what
are the tolerances of the novaxis?

- Could it be a grounding problem?
- Is it advisable to supply the slotexpander it's own +/-12V and 5V
from the AT power supply instead of getting it from the MSX main board
via slot 1 or 2?

Any help/hints would be greatly apprciated.

Gerald