Dear readers,

This automated two-weekly email message contains the MSX Resource Center news summary
dating from Jul 18, 2004 until Aug 01, 2004. In these two weeks 41 news articles were
posted at the MSX Resource center. The complete newsarchive can be found here:
http://www.msx.org/newsarchive.html

Kind regards,
MSX Resource Center team

MRC BOUNCE CHALLENGE - 4TH ENTRY BY GUYVER800 (2004-07-31 22:19:38)

Alright, when Sonic submitted Bounce00, the third entry to our latest challenge, we
stated we didn't see this coming? We lied. Here is the 4th entry to the MRC Bounce
Challenge: Bounce X. GuyveR800 kinda continues the idea that started in Sonic his
brains,...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2182.html

RETRO PC GAME MUSIC ADDS LAYDOCK 2 LAST ATTACK AND STARSHIP RENDEZVOUS SOUNDTRACKS
(2004-07-31 11:40:04)

Retro PC Game Music have again updated their playlists. This time, the soundtracks of
Laydock 2 - Last Attack and the MSX version of Starship Rendezvous were added. You can
listen to this streaming radio station at http://gyusyabu.ddo.jp:8000/. Most popular...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2181.html

MSXDEV'04 ENTRY: KRALIZEC TETRIS (2004-07-31 11:34:13)

Another MSX1 game has been added to the list of MSXdev'04 entries. After creating
Kralizec Battle Tetris Kralizec decided to create a single-player Tetris game for this
MSX1 game development competition as well. You can download the game as ROM or WAV...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2180.html

WHICH MSX HAS THE BEST DESIGN [ROUND 3] (2004-07-31 00:15:26)

After two rounds of voting in our crowded forums there are only 16 out of 58 different
MSX computers left running for the prestigious title 'MSX computer with the best
design'. You can decide which one of them is going to win, by filling in the
votesheet...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2179.html

MSXDEV'04 ENTRY: GNIFFEL (2004-07-30 17:56:23)

Thanks to the MSXdev'04 competition something very unusual has happened this week. In
3 days time, 4 new MSX1 games were released. Who would have thought that was possible,
only 2 years ago?

Todays MSXdev'04 release is called Gniffel. It's an addictive...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2178.html

MSXRIO WEBSITE UPDATED (2004-07-30 14:04:03)

The MSXRio website has been updated with information on MSXRio 2004, which will be
held on the 27th, 28th and 29th of August this year. On the Portuguese website you can
find a lot of information on the event, but also many reports and photoshoots of...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2177.html

MSXDEV'04 ENTRY: SOUKOBAN POCKET EDITION (2004-07-29 23:29:34)

Although the deadline of MSXdev'04 has been extended to August 11th, new entries to
this programming competition are coming in as the original deadline is getting closer.
Today a game by Karoshi Corporation was completed:"Soukoban Pocket Edition. You...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2176.html

MSXDEV'04 ENTRY: SINK KING (2004-07-29 00:27:22)

Madonna Mark II, well known from Matranet, has finished developing Sink King, an entry
for the MSXdev'04 competition. The game can be downloaded from the MSXdev'04 status
page. The game is available as ROM, MSX-DOS loader and WAV file.

Relevant link:...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2175.html

MOD PLAYER FOR MSX1 (2004-07-28 23:58:44)

Nyyrikki has just sent us an amazing tool that makes it possible to play Amiga MOD
files on an MSX1 (or higher) with 64kB RAM and a diskdrive. The tool has been added to
our ever growing downloads database and comes with several MOD files so that you...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2174.html

SNAIL MAZE - FINISHED (2004-07-28 20:04:00)

While the MSXdev'04 competition is about to close, Robsy has finished his
demonstrational entry to this programming contest, Snail Maze, of which a beta version
was released 6 months ago. The game is a port of game Snail Maze, which is hidden in
the BIOS...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2173.html

TRANSLATORS WANTED (2004-07-27 20:27:35)

As you all probably know the MSX Resource Center is not only available in English, but
also in Spanish, Portuguese and Dutch. Every day our team of voluntary translators
makes sure the latest MSX news and, eventually, the entire MSX News Archive is being...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2172.html

MSX IN THE MEDIA: 17TH NOMINEE (2004-07-27 17:46:58)

Konami did it again! On the Konami TYO website. the division of Konami that is
developing Neo Contra, MSX gets mentioned in the History of Contra section. Of course
this has been added to our list of nominees. Did you get or spot MSX in the media?
Send...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2171.html

RETRO PC GAME MUSC ADDS QUARTH AND DAIVA SOUNDTRACKS (2004-07-27 17:38:15)

Retro PC Game radio have added the soundtracks of Daiva (PC-Engine version) and
Konami's classic Quarth to their massive collection of Video Game Music. The radio
station randomly plays songs from this collection, but fortunately you can also
request...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2170.html

BLUEMSX 1.6.0 (2004-07-27 17:09:12)

Version 1.6.0 of blueMSX has just been released. The emulator now comes with a
customizable shortcuts editor: the user can remap a long list of features to keys,
combinations or keys or to the joypad buttons, create different profiles or modify the
existing...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2169.html

MSX IN THE MEDIA: 16TH NOMINEE (2004-07-27 15:10:03)

Slowly but steadily the MSX in the Media Challenge demonstrates that MSX has not yet
been forgotten by the international media. After appearing on websites and magazines
for several times, MSX appearing on TV was bound to happen. Albert Beevendorp
spotted...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2168.html

MURDER CLUB FOR VODAFONE LIVE JAPAN (2004-07-27 13:00:27)

Source: Gigamix online

JB Harlold's Murder Club, released by Microcabin on MSX in 1988, has recently been
re-released by Vodafone Live Japan. On this website you can have a look at what the
game looks like on mobile phones.

Relevant link: Althi's...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2167.html

ILLLUSION CITY INTRODEMO FOR SCC (2004-07-27 12:36:21)

Source: VGM or Chiptune News

MAD has released an SCC version of the second part of the Illusion Introdemo song in
MP3 format on his website. Originally, the song from this splendid Microcabin turboR
game was written vor OPLL+PSG or MT32. On MAD's website...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2166.html

WHICH MSX HAS THE BEST DESIGN [ROUND 2] (2004-07-27 12:32:38)

After an exciting first round of voting there are still 30 different MSX computers
running for the prestigious title 'MSX computer with the best design'. You can decide
which one of them is going to win, by filling in the votesheet of round 2 before
July...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2165.html

MOVIES OF GAMING SUPERPLAYS (2004-07-26 20:02:22)

Source: Avkooi

In the past, we have already given some attention to Gaming Superplays. More and more
people try to really control games they like which results in being able to play them
theoretically perfect, as fast as possible or just perform amazing...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2164.html

MSXPLUG 2004-07-23 (2004-07-24 15:52:46)

Source: VGM or Chiptune News

Yesterday Digital Sound Antiques released a new version of MSXplug, a plugin for
WinAmp and KbMediaPlayer that allows you to play several formats of MSX songs on PC.
New in this version:

* Automatic loop point detector...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2163.html

WHICH MSX HAS THE BEST DESIGN [ROUND 1] (2004-07-24 02:19:03)

A week ago we started the round of nominations in our quest for the best looking MSX
computer in the world. A grand total of 56 MSX computers were nominated to win this
prestigous title. You can decide which one of them is going to win, by filling in...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2162.html

KOUSTRACKER PROMO (2004-07-23 21:09:49)

Many years ago a group of Dutch MSX users, Soksoft, created a new MSX music tracker
that offered many features musicians had been waiting for for a long time. The name of
this program? Koustracker. Strangely the program never got as popular as its
competitors,...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2161.html

LEGEND OF HEROES VI - SORA NO KISEKI RELEASED! (2004-07-23 17:29:00)

As we reported earlier, Falcom has been busy developing the sixth part of the Legend
of Heroes saga, called Sora no Kiseki (or 'The Miracle of the Sky' in English). The
first part of this series was released on MSX as Dragon Slayer 6. Although this
newest...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2160.html

MRC BOUNCE CHALLENGE - 3RD ENTRY BY SONIC (2004-07-22 19:04:22)

Right after completing the second entry to the MRC Bounce Challenge Sonic started
working on another entry: Bounce00.  Bounce00 runs on MSX2+ and higher, provided they
are booted in DOS1 mode. The MRC team can safely say: we didn't see this one coming....

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2159.html

MSX GUNCON (2004-07-22 18:56:21)

Syntax is working on a project called MSX Guncon. MSX Guncon is a modified lightgun,
which unfortunately isn't compatible with the ASCII Plus-X Terminator. The lightgun
itself is already fully functional. Syntax is now working on some Guncon compatible...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2158.html

SPRESIANO 2004 PHOTOSHOOT (2004-07-22 18:47:40)

On the 11th of July the Spresiano Retrocomputing meeting was held in Spresiano, Italy.
On the Spresiano website flyguille found a photoshoot of this event. You can have a
look at it over here.

Relevant link: Spresiano 2004 photoshootRead more at:
http://www.msx.org/newspost2157.html

MRC BOUNCE CHALLENGE - 2ND ENTRY: UPDATE (2004-07-22 18:42:54)

Yesterday we have added the second entry to the MRC Bounce Challenge to our downloads
database. Several people reported they could not run the entry. Today Sonic sent us an
update, which should make the entry run on both turboR ST and GT, provided they...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2156.html

MSX IN THE MEDIA: 15TH NOMINEE (2004-07-22 18:20:38)

The Dutch computer industry magazine Dealer Info, which is being published by the same
company and person (Luc Sala) that published the Dutch MSX Info magazines, MSX got
mentioned in an article on the Commodore Revival. We thought it was a suitable
nominee...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2155.html

MSX IN THE MEDIA: 14TH NOMINEE (2004-07-22 17:57:07)

The Dutch Nintendo Magazine [N]gamer dedicated a two-page article to Konami's
legendary Gradius series. Of course, they had to mention MSX as well in this article.
Which they did. Patriek Lesparre spotted it, and we have now added it to the list of
nominees

Did...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2154.html

MRC BOUNCE CHALLENGE - 2ND ENTRY BY SONIC (2004-07-21 07:08:19)

We have only just started the MRC Bounce Challenge and already have received two
entries: Jone Jumpy by Jonemaan and, as of now, Bounce by Sonic. This turboR-only demo
shows a modified screenshot of the MSX Resource Center with a bouncing ball. The
demo...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2153.html

MNBIOS - ENGLISH MANUAL COMPLETED (2004-07-20 20:28:04)

Flyguille just posted a message on the MSX Resource Center forums to let us know he
has completed translating the English manual of his new MSX Operating System MNBIOS.
If you'd like to give MNBIOS a go, you can Download MNBIOS demo 2 here.

Relevant...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2152.html

MSX IN THE MEDIA: 13TH NOMINEE (2004-07-20 19:54:06)

A while ago Thom Zwagers let us know about an MSX in the Media occurance we have just
added to the list of nominees. In UK gaming magazine Edge a letter from Michiel van
Leeuwen is published in which he compares the ideas behind Microsoft XNA with the...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2151.html

3D CUBE BY MICROTECH (2004-07-20 16:04:32)

Marco Rossin sent us a nice 3D vectorgraphics demo called '3D Cube'. After asking some
questions on L80 in our forums MicroTech decided to share their in-development project
with the MSX community. As of today you can find it in our ever growing downloads...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2150.html

MSX IN THE MEDIA: 12TH NOMINEE (2004-07-19 23:22:16)

Hans Otten sent us a scan of the article on the MSX Game Reader that was published in
the july/august edition of Computer Totaal. It is added to the list of nominees of the
MSX in he Media Challenge.

Did you get or spot MSX in the media as well? Send...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2149.html

ANDRÉ LIGTHART HEAD OF MRC BOUNCE CHALLENGE (2004-07-19 21:54:25)

On July 18th, 2004, we started the MSX Resource Center Bounce Challenge. Until October
11th, 2004, you can all send your submissions to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We thought the head of the jury for this challenge really has to know how to bounce
around. We wanted...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2148.html

MRC BOUNCE CHALLENGE - FIRST ENTRY BY JONEMAAN (2004-07-19 21:16:51)

This is a record. Within 24 hours after we started the MRC Bounce Challenge we
received the first submission: Jone Jumpy. Its creator, Jonemaan, made this entry in
MSX BASIC and it's a true oneliner! It should work on every MSX computer, although
Jonemaan...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2147.html

RETRO PC GAME MUSIC ADDS SPACE MANBOW SOUNDTRACK (2004-07-19 20:19:17)

Source: VGM or Chiptune News

Retro PC Game Music have again updated their playlists. This time, Space Manbow was
added. You can listen to this streaming radio station at http://gyusyabu.ddo.jp:8000/.
Most popular mediaplayers support streaming radio.

Relevant...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2146.html

OPF 0.6 (2004-07-19 07:19:47)

A new version of OPF (the program used to flash ROMs into MegaFlashROM cartridges) has
just been released. This new version is capable of loading ROMs with BASIC programs
and fixes the problem with Q-Bert

Relevant link: MegaFlashROM websiteRead more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2145.html

MRC BOUNCE CHALLENGE (2004-07-18 23:16:07)

Summertime is here, it is time to create! The Snowfall and Under Water Challenges
turned out to be a huge success. They resulted in a grand total of 36 new MSX demos
and games. With many cool prizes and independant jurors such as Wammes Witkop and
Frank...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2144.html

AFFILIATES BLOCK ADDED (2004-07-18 23:07:13)

As you probably all know the MSX Resource Center Foundation is the organization that
pays for the increasing webhosting costs of www.msx.org. Although the foundation
mainly relies on the financial input of the MSX Resource Center admins, it's
possible...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2143.html

GRADIUS V TRAILER (2004-07-18 14:24:15)

Source: Magic Box gaming

Konami have released a preview video of their upcoming game Gradius V, the fifth part
of the Nemesis saga. The game is scheduled to be released on the 22nd of July in
Japan.

The Asian/NTSC version of the game can be ordered...

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/newspost2142.html