Dear readers,

This automated weekly email message contains the MSX Resource Center news
summary dating from Jul 20, 2005 until Aug 03, 2005. Last week, 8 news articles
were posted at the MSX Resource center. The complete newsarchive can be found
here: http://www.msx.org/newsarchive.html

Kind regards,
MSX Resource Center team

1991 PHOTOSHOOTS OF ALMELO, RIJNSTREEK AND ZANDVOORT (2005-08-01 00:25:33)

Thanks to Ruud Wisse we were able to add 3 new photo shoots of 3 meetings held
in 1991. As always, we are looking for new MSX photo shoots, especially of
fairs and meetings not yet listed in our photo shoots section. Please contact
us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have any pictures you'd like to share with the
MSX community.

Read more at:
http://www.msx.org/1991-photoshoots-of-Almelo%2C-Rijnstreek-and-Zandvoort.newspost3156.html

MRC DOWNLOADS TOP 10; JULY 2005 (2005-08-01 00:21:56)

It's the first of the month, so lets have a look at which files have been
downloaded the most during July 2005. The download top 10 of July 2005 looks as
follows:

  * Waves (181 downloads)
  * DSKpro (158 downloads)
  * E3D Evolution (142 downloads)
  * Rick Dangerous (141 downloads)
  * Bet your life (133 downloads)
  * Romload (120 downloads)
  * Car II (98 downloads)
  * IPS  for MSX (84 downloads)
  * Vscreen (82 downloads)
  * ANMA's Amusements disk (77 downloads)

Currently, our database contains 672 freeware downloads. If you'd like to share
your productions with the MSX community, send them to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Happy
downloading!

Read more at:
http://www.msx.org/MRC-Downloads-top-10%3B-July-2005.newspost3155.html

ONE CHIP MSX FAQ (2005-07-30 19:49:15)

Bazix have opened a One Chip MSX FAQ on their website, revealing a lot of new
information on the One Chip MSX and taking away several uncertainties that
existed on the One Chip MSX. Here, you can find an overview of the most
important information that has been revealed:

  * The One Chip MSX will be configured as a special MSX1 computer by default,
offering 256kB of RAM, MSX-MUSIC, MSX-DOS2 and FAT16 support
  * The SD Card is hot swappable and can be accessed due to the implementation
of a MegaSCSI interface in VHDL
  * The VHDL code to achieve MSX1 compatibility will be included in the One
Chip MSX package, together with a few other VHDL code examples
  * The schematics to the One Chip MSX PCB will be included as well
  * The FPGA core can be updated from MSX-DOS using a special MSX-DOS tool
  * Configured as an MSX2 with MegaSCSI, MSX-MUSIC and SCC support, about 91%
of the Logical Elements availabe are in use. The code to the implementation of
Z80, MSX-MUSIC and VDP has however not yet been optimized to use as little
Logical Elements as possible. All three cores can, by estimation, be optimized
to use only 50% of the amount of Logical Elements from what they are using in
the current development version

The One Chip MSX can be pre-ordered at Bazix from this page until August 20th,
2005.

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/One-Chip-MSX-FAQ.newspost3154.html

PENTARO IS THE MOST POPULAR MSX GAME CHARACTER, ONE CHIP MSX POLL UP
(2005-07-30 15:52:40)

On April 16th we started our quest for the most popular MSX Game character in
the 'What's your favourite MSX game charater megapoll'. Out of 162 nominees, 6
made it to the frontpage poll. After 8 weeks of voting, 115 votes were cast
resulting in the following outcome:

  * Pentaro (Several Konami productions) - 27.83%
  * Gillian Seed (Snatcher & SD-Snatcher) - 23.48%
  * Fray (Xak series) - 17,39%
  * Moai heads (Several Konami productions) - 15.65%
  * Carbuncle (Several Compile productions) - 8.70%
  * Latok Kart (Xak series) - 6.96%

The new poll is about the upcoming One Chip MSX, which is currently available
for pre-order worldwide at ASCII (Japanese market) and Bazix (non-Japanese
market). With only 3 weeks to go, there are about 2,500 One Chip MSX computers
left to be pre-ordered until 5,000 pre-orders have been registered, an amount
needed to make commercial production of the One Chip MSX possible. Our question
to you this time is: Is the One Chip MSX going to be ordered more than 5,000
times before August 20th? Happy voting!

Read more at:
http://www.msx.org/Pentaro-is-the-most-popular-MSX-game-character%2C-One-Chip-MSX-poll-up.newspost3153.html

2,500 ONE CHIP MSX COMPUTERS SOLD (2005-07-29 18:43:11)

On May 20th, ASCII started taking pre-orders on the new One Chip MSX. Within a
week, 1000 devices were pre-ordered. Now, 19 days after breaking the 2,000
pre-orders barrier, the counter on ASCII's One Chip MSX pre-order page has
reached the 2,500 pre-orders milestone. At the moment, there are only three
weeks left to register another 2,500 pre-orders, needed to make commercial
production of the One Chip MSX possible.

Read more at:
http://www.msx.org/2%2C500-One-Chip-MSX-computers-sold.newspost3152.html

OSWBALLZ 2: TRAILBLAZER REMAKE (2005-07-28 14:30:07)

Kochon has released a sequel to OneSWitch BALLZ, called oSwBallz 2. Both games
are remakes of Trailblazer, which was released on MSX by Gremlin during the
1980s

Read more at:
http://www.msx.org/oSwBallz-2%3A-Trailblazer-remake.newspost3151.html

T&E SOFT PACKAGE AT PLUS! (2005-07-28 13:46:24)

Amusement Center have added a package of two classic T&E Soft games to their
retro gaming webshop PLUS!. THe package contains the adventure game Planet
Mephius and the shooter Clapton 2

Read more at: http://www.msx.org/TE-Soft-package-at-PLUS%21.newspost3150.html

PANASONIC MSX2+ MEMORY UPGRADE HOWTO (2005-07-28 13:43:31)

Yesterday, Clifer started this forum thread, in which he pointed to an article
he wrote on updrading a Panasonic MSX2+ computer to 512kB RAM with 16bit * 1M
DRAM. The documentation on how to perform this upgrade yourself is available as
a web page right here, or can be downloaded as a PDF file from here.

Read more at:
http://www.msx.org/Panasonic-MSX2%2B-memory-upgrade-howto.newspost3149.html