I'm replying to 2 posts below.
Thanks also to the 3 other people who have responded to me privately.

1.
> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:35:03 +0000
> From: ByteCool Software <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: [Mt-list] MT and Instant Messenger/chat
>"IRC at Work" (www.ircatwork.com) is a web-based IRC client.
>After registering a username and logging in you will be able to chat
>in an IRC channel with machine translation intermediating between
>"your language" and "the channel's language". I didn't really test this
>feature.

I took a couple of minutes to test it. It only works with the IRC channels, not
with the Yahoo login that they also have a window for.
The translation function is simple: you can configure the language you send in
and also the language you receive in.  It provides source and target languages
in parallel.
Yet, as is the case of chat room language, which is very informal with many
abbreviations and acronyms, the language translator has problems identifying and
parsing. I was expecting this. There is no indication of the MT engine being
used.

2.
> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:18:58 +0200
> From: Ali Reza Ebadat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Mt-list] MT and Instant Messenger/chat
> Three years ago we released a program that combined our Machine Translation
>(Pars Translator)  with Yahoo messenger.
> So we decided to stop it but it was a great experience for us to
> be in users chat room.
> If yo find a API from the YAhoo or other Messenger, it will be
> easier to develop a MT for chat room.

Thanks Ali,
I think that this is one I had heard of a couple of years ago.
You mention the technical difficulties.
However, the level of language in a chat room usually is very informal, which
always seems to be difficult for MT systems to parse.
How did the the chat room users react and adjust to the use of your IM
translator? Do they need to adjust their level of language?  Or did they simply
complain that it couldn't understand their level of language?
I would be very interested to know more.

I have used MT in IM exchanges in the past for answering questions.  However, it
was always in a structured environment in which I warned the user that i was
using MT. And I always used full structured sentences in my replies, which
translated fairly well into their language.
And the users responded to me in full sentences which translated well enough for
me to answer their questions.

Thanks,

Jeff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]