Hi Francis,

Thanks for the suggestion, but we were advised to leave the licensing language as is. Our licensing language is effectively equivalent to the MIT license.and is unambiguous with respect to releasing the data for any use (commercial or non-commercial).

Best regards,

- *Alon*

Francis Tyers wrote:
El dj 21 de 01 de 2010 a les 14:49 -0500, en/na Robert Frederking va
escriure:
The Language Technologies Institute (LTI) of Carnegie Mellon University's
School of Computer Science (CMU SCS) is making publicly available the
Haitian Creole spoken and text data that we have collected or produced. We
are providing this data with minimal restrictions in order to
allow others to develop language technology for Haiti, in parallel with our
own efforts to help with this crisis. Since organizing the data in a useful
fashion is not instantaneous, and more text data is currently being produced
by collaborators, we will be publishing the data incrementally on the web,
as it becomes available.  To access the currently available data, please
visit the website at  http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/haitian/

Would you consider also dual/triple licensing the data under an existing
free software licence, such as the MIT licence[1] or the GNU GPL[2] ?
This way it could be combined with existing data under these licences
(e.g. the majority of free/open-source software) and researchers and
developers don't need to hire legal advice to determine if they can
combine their work with yours.

Best regards,
Fran

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_Licence#License_terms