Jonathan Leffler wrote:
<snip>
actually, I'm not fussed which option you take as long as what's there is readily explained (learned). But I would head towards minimalism - I don't work with a language with binary notation for numbers, and have seldom really missed it (I use hex or occasionally octal - the latter mainly in relation to Unix permissions).

However, every feature has a cost. There's the implementation cost; the documentation cost; the learning cost. The first two are borne primarily by the developers - the latter affects all the users, though. And you need to balance those costs against the amount of usage the feature will get. And, frankly, I think that the usage will be minimal outside the 4 bases already identified - binary, octal, decimal, hexadecimal. So, unless the cost is similarly minimal, I would not add the general feature.

It's a rather pragmatic view of things; in Agile Development, it is known as YAGNI - you ain't gonna need it.

Actually, YAGNI is a very good point. And as some people have said, completeness for its own sake isn't always justified.

So barring any other strong reason to keep them, I now intend to remove the M;NNN (numeric) and M;'NNN' (blob) syntax entirely and just retain 5 specific numeric syntaxes (N,0bN,0oN,0dN,0xN) and 3 specific blob syntaxes (Ob'N', Oo'N', Ox'N').

Literals in any base can still be expressed in the "N/N" and "N*N^N" formats/expressions where N is any of the prior 5 numeric formats.

That should keep things a bit simpler.

If anyone actually needs more they can instead make a case for addition and/or define a user function.

-- Darren Duncan