> Be careful that the pcscd debug messages may disapear in the future.
> I recived a bug report (Debian bug #274849 [1]) asking for less debug.
>
> The debug verbosity state should be selected by a command line argument.
> If anybody want to propose a patch I will review it. Or I will do it
> myself later if I have some time.

the PAM Module can be adjusted. Several of the LOG_ERR could be changed
to LOG_WARNING. And you can enable/disable debug with
/etc/musclepam/pam_muscle.conf file.

Perhaps major events like cards being inserted/removed, and users being
verified, or verification fails should always be in the log.

But the bug mentioned is because there are 298 references to
DebugLog[ABC] in pcsc-lite.

Looking at debuglog.c, all of these are logged using SYS_INFO.
Therefore one can easily change the syslog config file to hide this
information.  So there is a solution now. Or one can change it to SYS_DEBUG in
debuglog.c

And, as you said, one can add a switch to enable/disable
all logging messages in pcscd.

Is this the right granularity? All or none?

If not, we would need to have some way to
prioritize the logging messages, which I believe would require an extra
parameter, which would then require changing 298 calls.

I might suggest an option, like

        -D
with an optional
        -D# - where # is an integer, and if not specified, # == 1
and the integer specifes the debug verbosity level - the higher the number, the more
information is logged.