        From: Michael Bender [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Wed 10/27/2004 6:32 PM
        To: Peter Tomlinson
        Cc: MUSCLE
        Subject: Re: [Muscle] Some javacard questions

        Peter Tomlinson wrote:
        > Like you say in your footer, Michael: Never give up! Never surrender!

        Yeah, but that refers to faster-than-light travel in a spaceship
        modeled after a TV show and commanded by has-been actors, Peter :-).

        > If we get multi-app cards into the hands of the citizen, why cannot they
        > put what they want (within reason) into them?

        For the same reason that cellular providers like Verizon cripple
        Motorola bluetooth phones and force the consumer (at least in the
        US) to only use "approved and verified" phones on the cellular
        network - $$$.

        I know that for a number of smartcard-based projects that I am
        working on that use card provided by other organizations, it sure
        would be nice to have a few tens or hundreds of bytes of storage
        that my app could use on the card!

        > The big battle at the moment is to get card holder authentication using
         > smart cards sorted out.

        <CYNIC MODE>
        Sure, we've only been working on that problem since 1978 or so.
        </CYNIC MODE>

        mike

           Michael Bender                       E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Sun Microsystems, Inc.                  Tel: 831-401-9510
           14 Network Circle                       Tel: x.31807
           Menlo Park, Ca. 94025
           Mailstop: UMPK14-260                    MD: VPN/IMAP

                             Never give up! Never surrender!