I am new to smart cards, and am trying to use an ActivCard USB Reader
v2.0 with a DoD Common Access Card, on Debian unstable.  I have
installed the libccid (0.9.3-1) driver (which claims to support my
reader; the web page even has a nice picture of it) and pcscd
(1.2.9-beta7-5).  When I run "pcscd --foreground", it appears to
recognize the card:

    pcscdaemon.c:242:main() pcscd set to foreground with debug send to stderr
    pcscdaemon.c:446:main() pcsc-lite 1.2.9-beta7 daemon ready.
    hotplug_libusb.c:371:HPAddHotPluggable() Adding USB device: 001:006
    readerfactory.c:1066:RFInitializeReader() Attempting startup of ActivCard
00 00.
    readerfactory.c:940:RFBindFunctions() Loading IFD Handler 3.0
    ifdhandler.c:998:init_driver LogLevel: 0x0003
    ifdhandler.c:1009:init_driver DriverOptions: 0x0000
    ifdhandler.c:67:IFDHCreateChannelByName lun: 0, device:
usb:09c3/0008:libusb:001:006
    ccid_usb.c:225:OpenUSBByName Manufacturer: Ludovic Rousseau ([EMAIL
PROTECTED])
    ccid_usb.c:235:OpenUSBByName ProductString: Generic CCID reader v0.9.3
    ccid_usb.c:241:OpenUSBByName Copyright: This driver is protected by terms
of the GNU General Public License version 2, or (at your option) any later
version.
    ccid_usb.c:376:OpenUSBByName Found Vendor/Product: 09C3/0008 (ActivCard)
    ccid_usb.c:378:OpenUSBByName Using USB bus/device: 001/006
    ifdhandler.c:239:IFDHGetCapabilities lun: 0, tag: 0xFAE
    ifdhandler.c:689:IFDHPowerICC lun: 0
    Card ATR: 3B 65 00 00 9C 02 02 07 02

Also, the light on the reader (with a card inserted) goes from on to
flashing when I start pcscd.  I don't know whether this is a good thing,
but it at least means some communication is happening.  Is this an
indication of an error?  If so, how can I diagnose it?

Nothing else works, and I don't know what to do next.  If I run
muscleTool and type "tokens", it returns "No Valid Tokens Found".  (When
pcscd is not running, it returns "ERR: ListTokens Failed (0x9C53 Service
is not running)", so I know it is at least talking to pcscd.)  xcard
lists one token called "Token Unknown".  I installed libmusclepkcs11 and
told firefox about it, and now the "Security Modules and Devices" dialog
has an "ActivCard 00 00" entry, but under Status, it always says "Not
Present".

I have also installed openct, but "openct-control init"
immediately exits (even after I added my Reader's USB id to the list
supported by the ccid driver in openct.conf).

I must admit I've found the documentation on how all the pieces fit
together confusing, so I may have done something wrong.  I have also
never tried this reader under Windows or plugged my card into a reader
on another computer, so maybe I'll try that when I get an opportunity.

Thank you for any hints as to what's going on.

Andrew