Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
I also proposed to change the permissions on the /var/run/pcscd.*
files. Your idea of dynamically add a user in a particular group is
very good. I would prefer "smartcard" as the group name to be more
explicit.

debian, ubuntu and gentoo use "scard" already, so guess it will stick.
(otherwise I would agree with you, but too late now I guess).

Do you know a PAM module that does that?

sure, pam_group :9

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-pam_group.html
also quite nice if you want to allow e.g. audio access only to local users. (reminds me of using "play redalert.wav" while being logged in
via modem line in a remote server/mailbox machine of a friend. was fun:)

Regards, Andreas