Hi,

I recently had a discussion with martin preuss on the libchipcard-devel-list
about the paths where drivers of chipcard-readers resist on a linux-system.

Currently, libchipcard has for every driver a whole bunch of possible
locations and is looking on all of them. Not a very nice solution, though
there is no other way as long as the drivers tend to be put whereever the
distribution maintainer thinks they should go.

So, to clean up this situation, I'd suggest to have some kind
of "default"-location for chipcard-drivers that all driver projects, all
libraries and all distributions can stick to. This could even be made an
extension to the FHS or the Linux Standard Base.

This mail is cc to various chipcard driver and framework-projects, but feel
free to forward it to other people involved in chipcard driver development.
I'd suggest to have this discussion on the libchipcard-list.

Now, already some technical thoughts:
- We have, as far as I know, two kinds of chipcard-related driver types: pcsc
drivers and ctapi.
- At the moment, I can't see a reason why we shouldn't make it so simple to
just say "put all chipcard device drivers into one dir, let's
say /usr/lib/readers/".

--
Hanno Böck              Blog:   http://www.hboeck.de/
GPG: 3DBD3B20           Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]