Douglas E. Engert wrote, On 03/12/2010 10:48 AM:

> Anderson Goulart wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know this question is on the archives, but I could not find any
>> solution for this yet...
>>
>> I am trying to authenticate a user with a smartcard. I am using
>> OpenSuse 11 with GDM 2.24. Everything is working, but not quite as I
>> would like to.
>>

>> What I am trying to do is deal with insertion and removing the
>> smartcard. When I insert the smartcard I would like GDM to show the
>> PIN dialog without pressing ENTER. And if I remove, GDM should show
>> the Username/Password dialog again.
>
> I like this, but PAM today gets in the way.

we're talking about
URL         : ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdm
... the thing you see while you try to log in (also fronts RHEL/CentOS/Fedora
boxes), right?

for me, gdm has worked in the way Goulart wants:
on fedora since circa Fedora 8
on CentOS since at or before CentOS 5.3

the current gdm on CentOS 5 is a heavily patched 2.16.0.
the current gdm on Fedora 12 is a patched  2.28.2.
There may be other "helpers" in these distros that I have not looked for.

perhaps the patches for smart cards on one of those could be bent to work with
the GDM in OpenSuse.

Hope this helps.
--
Todd Denniston