On 9/7/2010 4:44 AM, Francisco Rodríguez wrote:
Hi all!

I've just received my new Gemalto Prox-DU reader and I've been trying to
make it work, but I've found that, in my Ubuntu 10.04 system, everytime
I reboot the computer, pcscd doesn't run as expected, so I must kill the
process and start a new one in order to make it work. I remember reading
that this was a problem with libhal, and I guess that it was solved in
the last versions of pcsc-lite, but (I don't understand why) when I
execute pcsc_scan it tells me that it was compiled for version 1.5.3 of
pcsc-lite

    fran...@toshiba-laptop:~$ pcsc_scan

    PC/SC device scanner

    V 1.4.16 (c) 2001-2009, Ludovic Rousseau <ludovic.rouss...@free.fr
    <mailto:ludovic.rouss...@free.fr>>

    Compiled with PC/SC lite version: 1.5.3

    SCardEstablishContext: RPC transport error.

In fact, if I use the command "pcscd --version" I get this answer

      fran...@toshiba-laptop:~$ pcscd --version

    pcsc-lite version 1.6.4.

    Copyright (C) 1999-2002 by David Corcoran <corco...@linuxnet.com
    <mailto:corco...@linuxnet.com>>.

    Copyright (C) 2001-2010 by Ludovic Rousseau
    <ludovic.rouss...@free.fr <mailto:ludovic.rouss...@free.fr>>.

    Copyright (C) 2003-2004 by Damien Sauveron <sauve...@labri.fr
    <mailto:sauve...@labri.fr>>.

    Report bugs to <muscle@lists.musclecard.com
    <mailto:muscle@lists.musclecard.com>>.

    Enabled features: Linux i686-pc-linux-gnu serial usb libhal
    usbdropdir=/usr/local/lib/pcsc/drivers ipcdir=/var/run/pcscd
    configdir=/usr/local/etc/reader.conf.d

but if I do the same using the route /usr/sbin/pcscd, this is what I get

    fran...@toshiba-laptop:~$ /usr/sbin/pcscd --version

    pcsc-lite version 1.5.3.

    Copyright (C) 1999-2002 by David Corcoran <corco...@linuxnet.com
    <mailto:corco...@linuxnet.com>>.

    Copyright (C) 2001-2008 by Ludovic Rousseau
    <ludovic.rouss...@free.fr <mailto:ludovic.rouss...@free.fr>>.

    Copyright (C) 2003-2004 by Damien Sauveron <sauve...@labri.fr
    <mailto:sauve...@labri.fr>>.

    Report bugs to <muscle@lists.musclecard.com
    <mailto:muscle@lists.musclecard.com>>.

    Enabled features: Linux libusb usbdropdir=/usr/lib/pcsc/drivers
    confdir=/etc ipcdir=/var/run/pcscd

there is some way to asure that the version of pcscd that it's running
on startup is the last one?

Last one? Only if you use the Debian tools to create a new version of the
package(s) and install it/them.

Try these commands to see more about pcscd:
    dpkg-query -S /usr/sbin/pcscd
    dpkg-query -s pcscd
    dpkg-query -L pcscd

If you want to experiment with running your compiled version of the pcscd
daemon which you must have installed in some directory in your path,
you will need to modify the /etc/init.d/pcscd to point to your version.
You may also need to modify the configure --prefix to make sure
pcscd finds its version of the /etc/reader.d and /usr/lib/pcsc.
And if you build any packages dependent on pcscd, you need to use your
version of libpcsclite.pc with those packages to get your libpcsclite.so

As Martin said, cleanup your path. With careful use you can test without
removing the installed package. But if you want to do this for production,
use the Debian tools to create a newer version.

I've also tried to compile pcsc-lite-1.6.4 with --disable-libhal &
--enable-libusb options, but then pcsc_scan only detected the
contactless interface of the reader and not the contact one. Installing
it without options works fine but only if I kill pcscd process and start
another one:

    fran...@toshiba-laptop:~$ ps -ax | grep pcscd

    Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
    http://procps.sf.net/faq.html

      1112 ?        Ssl    0:01 /usr/sbin/pcscd

      3270 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep pcscd

    fran...@toshiba-laptop:~$ sudo kill -9 1112

    [sudo] password for frankie:

    fran...@toshiba-laptop:~$ pcscd

    fran...@toshiba-laptop:~$ pcsc_scan

    PC/SC device scanner

    V 1.4.16 (c) 2001-2009, Ludovic Rousseau <ludovic.rouss...@free.fr
    <mailto:ludovic.rouss...@free.fr>>

    Compiled with PC/SC lite version: 1.5.3

    Scanning present readers...

    0: Gemalto Prox-DU [Prox-DU Contact_10500161] (10500161) 00 00

    1: Gemalto Prox-DU [Prox-DU Contactless_10500161] (10500161) 01 00

    Tue Sep  7 11:35:36 2010

      Reader 0: Gemalto Prox-DU [Prox-DU Contact_10500161] (10500161) 00 00

       Card state: Card removed,

    Tue Sep  7 11:35:36 2010

      Reader 1: Gemalto Prox-DU [Prox-DU Contactless_10500161]
    (10500161) 01 00

       Card state: Card removed,

    Tue Sep  7 11:35:46 2010

      Reader 1: Gemalto Prox-DU [Prox-DU Contactless_10500161]
    (10500161) 01 00

       Card state: Card inserted,

       ATR: 3B 81 80 01 80 80

    ATR: 3B 81 80 01 80 80

    + TS = 3B --> Direct Convention

    + T0 = 81, Y(1): 1000, K: 1 (historical bytes)

       TD(1) = 80 --> Y(i+1) = 1000, Protocol T = 0

    -----

       TD(2) = 01 --> Y(i+1) = 0000, Protocol T = 1

    -----

    + Historical bytes: 80

       Category indicator byte: 80 (compact TLV data object)

    + TCK = 80 (correct checksum)

    Possibly identified card (using /usr/share/pcsc/smartcard_list.txt):

    3B 81 80 01 80 80

    Mifare DESFire

    Tue Sep  7 11:35:49 2010

      Reader 1: Gemalto Prox-DU [Prox-DU Contactless_10500161]
    (10500161) 01 00

       Card state: Card removed,

I'm pretty sure that there must be a way to solve it without needing to
restart pcscd every time. I'll be very grateful if you could give me a
piece of advice.

Thanks in advance,

Francisco

 Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>