I don't know the actual answer.  In practice, there are only a few ways to make
this work.

1) prefix the pin field with a length byte.
2) pad the pin with some value that can't be input as the pin (e.g. for ascii
pins, use FF as the padding value).
3) truncate the pin to the appropriate length and let the length data for the
APDU describe the length of the PIN.
4) the applet knows the PIN length so you don't actually have to do anything
special.

For PINs meant to be used with secure PIN entry, (2) seems to be the most used.

When all else fails - cheat.  Wire tap the connection between the applet and
the actividentity middleware to figure out what's being passed.

Mike