On 2021-11-20, Nigel Redmon wrote:

It’s an interesting topic, for sure, and I don’t mean to slow it down. I just want to interject a practical comment about it. At this point in time, when quite affordable streaming services are sending 24-bit uncompressed audio, the advantage of gaining back fidelity from a truncated (dithered/reduced word size) channel is rapidly running out of life time.

No, it isn't. Because any amount of additive dither will *still* statistically be inefficient for measuring purposes. No amount of additive dither will decouple all of the successive momenta of the error signal from the utility signal. Subtractive dither on the other hands does that at its slighttest, one least bit level already. Wholly.

And you really should try it out sometime. Even 8-bit subtractively dithered channels sound rather nice, compared to say 12-bit properly additively dithered ones.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3751464, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2