I still didn't learn what Orfanidis has to say but I'm glad with serious discussions about copyright and formal and practical organization methods for non Open Source intellectual or art materials.

I think when or of I create a nice piece of DSP software or a good theory applicable in the field that in most western countries I automatically have the legal copyright. Practically I'm not so sure if even building it into a ROM or choosing high profile expensive scientific magazine to publish in would give me more chance of making a profit than bringing out an non-copy-protected Windows program as a small company with no legal department.

I mean when the ideas of people in a field are not bound by normal laws, nor by instituted or commercial rules, local mores or personal morality, or for all I care religious "morality", we might as well be living in a jungle hoping for Tarzan to throw us a bone. Modern music ongoings "teach" me certain groups of people are willing to bow a lot lower than just that, so I'm all for some amount of personal morality about these subjects, or the "big brother" effect in all kinds of public DSP (TV, CD mastering, etc.) probably will prevail leaving the good, talented and nice working people with shitty A/V materials and little income.

Ir. Theo Verelst
http://www.theover.org/Prod/studiosound.html