Hello Bill,
I take your question as a chance to introduce myself.
When you sweep the input parameter you are introducing discontinuities in the
output signal, and that sounds awful.
The simplest case to figure that out in your code is imagining that you have
the input variable set at 0 (pan = 0), and then abruptly you change the input
parameter to a value that will make the value of the pan variable jump to 1.
Both of the channels will generate a square wave, that will sound badly because
of the aliasing. One solution is to control the slew rate of your parameter
lowpass filtering your parameter. A simple moving average filter should do the
job correctly.

I have been reading this newsletter for a couple of years now, and I think that
it's the best place to learn about the practical applications of musical dsp. I
have been working in the digital audio field since 3 years now, even though I
have been interested in computer music since my first years at the university.
Now I am freelancing in this field, and I also get to play music more often.
This is really stimulating my imagination, and I hope that in the next months I
will have the time to implement some new effect or instruments.
Thank you for all the nice things that I have learnt here,

Alessandro