On 7/4/12 10:03 AM, Ivan Cohen wrote:
Hello dear subscribers of Music DSP !

I need your lights about a problem I have in a noise gate development for guitar amplifiers. To prevent the noise gate close and open successively on sustained notes, creating distorsion artefacts or "chattering", developers include a hold functionnality or a hysteresis control. They allow the noise gate to open and to close for different threshold values.

I have a very simple noise gate working as a VST plug-in, including variable threshold, ratio, attack and release controls (expander-like). I won't talk about knees to simplify the problem. The VCA attenuates the signal if my RMS attack/release envelop follower is under the threshold. However, I have difficulties to implement the "anti-chattering" controls, mainly with the hysteresis effect.

Example :

- I have a null signal. That means my gate is closed, and the noise gate output is null too. - Then, the amplitude of the input signal increases. The gate is still closed, until the envelop is higher than the "opening threshold". That means I have to apply a gain to my signal which is G1 = (envelope value / opening threshold) power (ratio - 1) after a few simplifications. - Next, the envelop amplitude is higher than the threshold. The output signal is equal to the input signal.

Things become more complicated now :

- The amplitude of the signal decreases, but the envelop stays higher than the "closing threshold", which is lower than the "opening threshold" of course. The VCA still applies a gain of one and the gate is still opened. - Next, the envelop amplitude is below the "closing threshold". The gate becomes closed, and a gain of G2 = (envelope value / closing threshold) power (ratio - 1) is applied to the input signal. - Then, the amplitude of the signal increases, but the envelop amplitude stays lower than the "opening threshold". What is the attenuation I must apply to my signal ? I can't apply G2, because it is depending on the "closing threshold", and I can't apply G1, because the gain must not change too fast.

So my question is : what is the best way to handle the move between the gain G1 and the gain G2, while preventing chattering, and clicks ?

do you slew the gain signal?

--

r b-j                  r...@audioimagination.com