Hi,

Here's something to listen to:
http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/publicfiles_gol/GhostTone.wav

It's divided in 2 parts, the same bunch of sine harmonics in the upper range, only difference is the phase alignment. (both will appear similar through a spectrogram)

Disregarding the difference in sound in the upper range,
1. anyone confirms the very low tone is very audible in the first half?
2. (anyone confirms it's not speaker distortion?)
3. anyone knows about litterature about the phenomenon?

While I can understand where the "ghost tone" is from, I don't understand why it's audible. I happen to have hyperacusis & can't stand the low traffic rumbling here around, and I was wondering why mics weren't picking it, as I perceive it very loud. I hadn't been able to resynthesize a tone as nasty until now, mainly because I was trying low tones alone, and I can't hear simple sines under 20Hz. The question is why do we(?) hear it, why is so much "pressure" noticable (can anyone stand it through headphones? I find the pressure effect very disturbing). Strangely enough, I find the tone a lot more audible when (through headphones) it goes to both hears, not if it's only left or right.