>>>>> "Ross" == Ross Bencina <rossb-li...@audiomulch.com> writes:

 Ross> I am suspicious about whether the mask is fast than the conditional for
 Ross> a couple of reasons:

 Ross> - branch prediction works well if the branch usually falls one way

 Ross> - cmove (conditional move instructions) can avoid an explicit branch

 Ross> Once again, you would want to benchmark.

I did the comparison for Csound a few months ago. The loss in using
modulus over mask was more than I could contemplate my users
accepting.  We provide both versions for those who want non-power-of-2
tables and can take the considerable hit (gcc 4, x86_64)

==John ffitch