On 01.05.13 22:35, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
> So, how do you go about systematically and portably implementing what
> you would expect from your logical operations, using standard C
> operations, without knowing the basic width of your types? (Logical, not
> arithmetic) right shifts of signed quantities, efficient parity, and
> computed shifts with negative offsets are proving particularly nasty at
> the moment. (It has to do with dithering at arbitrary word length which
> also has to be reasonably efficient if any set in silicon.)

I have no concrete advice to offer, but when faced with bit twiddling
problems of my own I tend to reach for the book "Hacker's Delight" which
also has a companion website: http://www.hackersdelight.org
On the odd chance that you don't already know it, maybe the book or
links from the website may help with your particular task.

        Thomas