---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Simper <a...@cytomic.com>
Date: 9 February 2013 22:47
Subject: Re: [music-dsp] 24dB/oct splitter
To: A discussion list for music-related DSP <music-dsp@music.columbia.edu>

As a comparison for people that use DF1 biquads to implement an LR4
you will need four 2 pole filters, where each DF1 takes 4 add/sub, 5
mult, so all up you have 16 add/sub, 20 mult = 36 numerical ops, you
will need 4 states per filter for a total of 16 states to update
(stores), 5 coeffs per filter for a total of 10 different coeffs (the
hp and lp are repeated), and bad numerical properties.

For three 2 pole leapfrogs you have 36 numerical ops, 3 states per
filter for a total of 9 states to update (stores), 5 coeffs total (one
of which includes the damping number k, both filters use the same
coeffs), and very good numerical properties.

For the single 4 pole leapfrog you have 27 numerical ops, 5 states for
the filter to update (stores), 6 coeffs total, and most likely good
numerical properties - but not quite as good as the three 2 pole
leapfrog since cascading 2 poles is lower noise in analog and digital.

Andy
--
cytomic - sound music software