On 12/30/13 7:06 PM, Frank Sheeran wrote:
Moselle looks interesting and useful and is definitely worth spending time
on.  In a way I am sympathetic about the comments about subscription
fatigue.  I am a user of MuseScore music notation software.  Even though I
like the software tremendously I had to unsubscribe from the forum.
Hi Linda,

Thanks for giving it some consideration.

If you or anyone has a way to meet the above goals without requiring a
membership I'm all ears, but I'm even more eager to have actual
feedback on the software.  (To date I've had none.)

well, Frank, until your 12/13/13 announcement, i hadn't heard of this. i *did* register a membership. didn't know exactly what to look for. i dunno even the platform requirements. i was sorta interested in looking for any example code or glue code or API spec or something.

how much of this product is developed? all those modules in Initial Idea List? need any help with any?

also, i might have some ideas regarding sample I/O, connections, control signal/parameters, and module structure. but i dunno what it is that you have regarding that.

i can offer feedback when i can figger out where it's at presently.

modular environment is cool. i've seen the innards of at least a couple of different commercial realizations (won't divulge any protected secrets) of modular effect environments. i've also seen the innards of an environment that *purported* to be modular and was not. it was only on the surface, but inside it was spaghetti, nothing really modular about it. also won't say who that is, but you can guess. :-)

so, without context, here is my initial advice for free:

process samples in blocks of, say, at least 32 or 64. maybe bigger, depending on how "live" you want this to be. this way, the cost of fetching states and pointers in the beginning of a module signal processing code and saving the states at the end, that cost is amortized over all of the samples of the block.

every instantiation of a module owns the memory for all of its outputs as well as for any states or delay lines. inputs are just references to outputs. user parameters and/or control signals are different. they can be asynchronous.

then writing the code for the individual modules is a snap.

--

r b-j                  r...@audioimagination.com