On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Thomas Strathmann <tho...@pdp7.org> wrote:

> On 13.01.14 09:46, Frank Sheeran wrote:
> > At this point, the #1 goal is to evaluate the language itself.  Is a
> > functional, textual, programming language the best way to design a
> > patch?  Better than Csound, better than visual environments like Buzz
> > or Cycling '74's Max?  Can I write a patch in Moselle that someone
> > with no Moselle experience can understand at a glance?  Can I write
> > one that even a Max expert understands better than the same sound
> > written in Max?  I THINK so, but I haven't heard any feedback on this
> > yet.
>
> This question has probably come up before: How does your language
> compare to FAUST? FAUST is quite elegant because it has an underlying
> formal semantics in terms of an algebra of data flow graphs, but the
> resulting programs (even simple examples) are hard to read because of
> the inherent impedance mismatch you run into when trying to describe
> arbitrary directed graphs (especially those with cycles) in a linear
> format. I guess the question I'm really interested in here is: How does
> your language attack this basic problem.

Actully, I have basically the same question. Have you
evaluated/investigated Common Lisp Music
(https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/clm/clm/clm.html)? A couple of
years ago I took a course in Nyquist
(http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/nyquist/), which I believe is based on
Lisp.  I found Nyquist to be quite powerful, althought I always found
myself writing very complicated structures instead of composing
scores, but maybe that's just because I'm such a nerd ;)

Stefan