On 1/13/14 11:50 AM, Charles Z Henry wrote:
On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 3:24 AM, Dave Gamble<davegam...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Don't post MS word files to the list. Learn latex notation and use it as
plain text.
Any replies you get will be latex style, as is mine below.

oh?

I do agree that MS word files would be hard to read for some (especially
since MS likes to change those formats every so often and you can't always
count on FOSS tools to read them).  Some others will just be unwilling.

However, not all replies will be latex style.  Dave speaks only for
himself.  It's not a rule of the list.

i dunno if Douglas made the list into anything other than plain text or not, but i am assuming it's still plain ASCII as are the USENET newsgroups, like comp.dsp.

i post using "ASCII math" (distant cousin to ASCII art). i assume the reader will be reading with a mono-spaced font and i use spaces, not tabs. so reading any math posted from me should be reasonably apparent. reading LaTeX and translating that in my brain is a pain in the arse.

even at the Signal Processing Stack Exchange, where LaTeX support is provided, it's a real pain-in-arse to set up every reply using the math pasteup, but i do it.

here, ASCII math is good enough, me thinks. no one needs to post in LaTeX and, if you want people to read your math readily, i would not recommend posting in LaTeX. but if the topic is important or interesting to me, i *may* choose to translate the LaTeX in my head. but i don't wanna do that.

--

r b-j                  r...@audioimagination.com