I'm not sure why FFT spectrum analyzers are being brought up? The analyzers
in question were analog - no FFT involved. These are heterodyne analyzers
(possibly the same thing you are referring to as "Hilbert transform"?) that
boast dynamic range of around 140dB (although the spurious signal response
is only like -80dB, as I described previously).

>Every signal deviation known to man can be tried for it's audibility in
well devised tests,
>and I'm afraid FFT meters (with usually pretty narrow-defined
implementations) simply
>aren't a good signal averaging for measuring most of the errors that could
play a role.
>They're just popular and everybody uses them, but that's not a proof of
fitness.

Can you refer us to any tests which indicate that signals similar to those
used in Monty's video contain audible distortion?

>A simple remark about the noise, and measuring signals: in information
theory, there's
>a big difference between a tape with (additive and some multiplicative)
noise, and fixed
>number of bits for a sampled source signal.

Only without proper dithering, unless I am misunderstanding what you are
trying to say there. Feel free to go into as much depth as necessary: I am
an expert on information theory.

>I want to progress, not teach half the world of so-so signal processors
the
>foundations of EE, university level.

I think you'll find that the best route to progress is a combination of
humility, respect, clarity and careful adherence to repeatable testing.

>the errors being made are trivial for a lot of listeners and can very well
be qualified and quantified,

I'm sure I speak for many participants here when I say that I'd very much
like to see any repeatable test results that illustrate whatever point you
are trying to make.